Management consulting is all about solving problems for clients. A ‘problem’ doesn’t have to be something negative – it could be the desire to make more profit or expand into a new area of business. Consultants tend to spend their time:
- researching – carrying out research and collating information
- conducting analysis – working out solutions
- team working – participating in brainstorming sessions
- advising – presenting findings to clients and colleagues
- implementing change – organising training sessions for client organisation employees, monitoring progress and writing up results and solutions for future reference.
Start-ups are by definition, at least in the early stages, small. This means that there are a small number of people involved with a broad range of business skills.